8 Day Regula 34
Most popular 8 day weight driven cuckoo clock movement. Comes with chains, hooks and rings and is already oiled. This movement uses two weights at 3 1/4 LBS (1500 Grams) each (not included). The pendulum is the larger 8 day size.
The drop is the measurement from the suspension post down to the center of the pendulum leaf where the clock keeps approximate time.
See if its Regula
To see if your time / cuckoo movement is Regula, please check the following.
- If your clock movement has two weights on the movement itself, your in the right section. You may have three weights, but the movement itself only carries two of them, and if you have another weight that is only on the music box, your in the right section.
- Next see if your cuckoo movement says 34 on it above the spiked wheel that makes the bellows go up and down, above this wheel and to the right some. It may have more numbers or letters after the 34 but these are meant to be ignored.
- Now you know the clock movement is made by the Regula company of Germany and if it says 34 it's a eight day movement.
- The pendulum drop is measured from the top of the movement and down to the center of the pendulum leaf where the clock used to keep approximate time.
Bending the bird wire
These movements have the bird wire also, this will come way too long and will need to be cut to length. After cut to size it must be bent into a 90 degree angle, and this bend must be done right the first time or its difficult to correct. The correct way to do adjust this bird arm wire is as follows.
- Measure the complete bird arm wire on the old unit, including the right angled section.
- Cut the new units bird wire to the same size.
- Take note of your old unit if the arm is forward or back, you want the arm forward on the old and the new as to avoid an improper 90 degree bend. A proper bend will be when both movements are in the bird coming out, arm forward to the front of the movement, both units at once, then make the bend. Otherwise it will be hard to correct as one 90 degree will not be in forward when the other one is, and will result in having to correct. How you put the arm forward =make the clock in strike mode, or you can say in cuckoo mode, as when its in cuckoo mode, the bird is forward.
- Measure where the bend is on the old movement and then go ahead and bend the new units bird arm to a right angle, at the same location as the old one (where the arm is even with the front of the movement, not back)