1. Chime type?There are two chime types, Westminster only, or triple chime. The Westminster will just have chime or silent at the 3 O'clock switch, and the triple chime will have your choice of three songs and also silent at the 3 O'clock switch. If you have no switch at 3 O'clock, its Westminster only.
2. Weights hang on?There are only two options for this. Either the weights will be hanging on chains coming down from the movement, or the weights will be hanging on pulleys that are hanging from cables. The chain driven units get wound up by pulling down the chains, the cable driven gets wound up by a crank key that goes into the dial holes.
3. Hand Shaft Length?This is the measurement of the shaft that the hands go on, from the front plate of the movement all the way out to the end of the minute hand nut threads. This is in mm but you can convert to inches online if you need too. Just type into a google search mm to in. The options are displayed on each movement series so all you have to do is figure out what mm length yours has that matches.
4. Pendulum length from top?The Germans measure the pendulum length from the top of the movement all the way down to the bottom of the pendulum nut threads. This measurement is approximate and varies depending on bob diameter. (The bob is the round disk at the bottom of the pendulum). The larger diameter on the pendulum bob, the longer the pendulum needs to be for the same unit. The Germans base there PL length (sometimes a stamp is on the movement, but usually not) on a bob diameter of 4 1/2 inches (4 1/2 inches = 145mm). For example when the list says 93cm, they are talking about the pendulum from tip to tip, the pendulum leader that is hangs on, and the suspension spring that the leader hangs on. All three components put together in one measurement in CM's. If this is confusing, we can do this another way. If you take off your pendulum, and put it on the kitchen table, and measure the pendulum from tip to tip when it is off the clock, we can say this instead:
- If the pendulum Length 27-30 inches, get the 80cm movement
- If the pendulum Length 31-34 inches, get the 93cm movement
- If the pendulum Length 35-37 inches, get the 100cm movement
- If the pendulum Length 38-40 inches, get the 110cm movement
- If the pendulum Length 40 plus inches, get the 116cm movement