Mechanical Clock To Quartz Conversion
Here is an economical alternative to the mechanical replacement unit. The clock will operate by a battery, and still look and sound the same. Installation is easy with this kit contains everything you need. It has the chiming quartz clock movement and the pendulum drive. (You only need to pick out the hands) With just some minor alterations, you will mount the movement to the back of the dial. Then mount the pendulum drive to the back of the clock case.
Heavy Duty Pendulum Drive
5 1/2" x 2 5/8" x 2"
Heavy Duty External Quartz Pendulum Drive. The strongest pendulum swinger available that operates by a battery. This can run the largest metal grandfather clock pendulum on the market along with extra weight.
Operates on two C-cell batteries (these do not come with the drive).
#QU40 Four Melody Chime (Best Sound)
4 9/16" x 4 3/4" x 1 1/8"
Song options: Westminster every quarter or Westminster, Ave Maria, Bim Bam options on the top of the hour only. Includes a light sensor and will be silent automatically if its dark in the room. Hands for this unit are sold separately.
- Volume control
- AutoNight Silence Switch
- Light sensor for chime off
About the movement
The QU40 quartz clock movement is the best sounding unit on the market. It will sound just as a mechanical clock chime. It will also have some additional benefits. The volume control can make it very loud or soft and this was not possible on the old mechanical unit. This quartz unit also has multiple chime options and an auto night silence switch.QU40 Instructions
Mounting the movement
The QU40 quartz clock movement will mount to the back of the clock dial. If the clock dial has phase of the moon it can have gears in the way of this. The QU40 would need a flat surface to mount up to the dial so you will need to remove these things.
About the pendulum drive
This is a new product on the market. Never before was there such a strong pendulum drive made like this one. It will run any pendulum length or weight that a mechanical unit has run in the past. It will mount to the back of the wood clock case with wood screws.
The quartz unit is replacing the mechanical movement so there will be parts you do not need any longer. The new quartz movement will come with hands so you do not need these either. You will no longer use the Chime block so that can also come out. The only things you will need from the old mechanical kit is the dial and the pendulum. Weight shells also if they are to be hung as decoration to have the clock look the same.
The clock weights are heavy so it is best to make them lighter. When you remove the weight from the outer shell, it can be hung for decoration. You can also use a portion of the chain or cable from the mechanical unit to hang the decorative weight shells. With a little attention the clock can look just as it did with the mechanical movement.
What will not work
Dial's clock moon dial disk that indicates the lunar cycles will no longer spin. If the clock has a moon dial that is. If there is a separate second hand sweep portion on the dial, the quartz unit will not have this feature. There will no longer be a second hand spinning with in that circle. Someone could epoxy the second hand to the dial so at least it looks right.
The point of no return
When a Mechanical - Quartz Clock Conversion is done, there is no going back. At least it would not always be easy to go back to a mechanical movement. So please be sure this is what you would like to do for the long run.
Steps to Take - the short version
- Remove the old movement and all parts
- Mount the quartz movement to the back of the dial
- Mount the external pendulum drive to the back of the cabinet and hang the pendulum.
- Remove lead from weight shells and hang the shells for decoration
- Westminster every quarter, and then strike out the hours
- Or Westminster / Ave Maria / BimBam on the top of the hour only
- Auto Night Silence Option (10pm to 6am)
- Volume Control
- Second Hand Option
- Pendulum Option
- Light sensor auto chime off
- Takes Two C-Cell Batteries
Premium Chime Clock Movement QU40 Instructions
- Connect the speaker to the movement
- Rotate handshaft clockwise until you hear a faint click sound. Then install hands at 5:00
- Insert the proper C-cell batteries into the movement. Note that the positive end of the battery faces downward.
- Double check to see that the hands are at the 5:00 position. Then press the gray RESET button at the bottom of the back side of the movement. This will set the electronic strike to 5:00AM. Rotate hands to 6:00 and note that it will strike 6 times. If everything is correct advance the hands to the correct time.
- Next, choose the melody in which you wish the movement to play. Note when in the 4x4 mode it will chime on the quarter and half hours as well as on the hour.
- When in the 4x4 mode, it may take a complete hour to correct itself after the time set knob is put to the correct hour. However this is completely normal.
- For night chime silence, set the sound lever that is on the back right hand side to PM 11:00-AM 5:45 Night off. This will be the auto night shut off mode and will shut the chimes off between 11 and 5:45AM. For 24 hours, move lever to the 24HR mode.
- The MONITOR button demonstrates the hourly chime.
- The SET button advances the strike one hour. However, this will not move the hands
- Very Important! Never turn the hands backwards. If setting the time from the back of the clock, turn the time set knob on the back of the movement so the hands move Clockwise only. Likewise, if setting the clock from the front, turn hands Clockwise only.